Paper Dahlia

19 April 2013
tags: ,
by

Dahlias are my very favorite flower. I love their colors and the shape of their petals – they just always look so happy! When I saw this awesome dahlia wreath, I immediately fell in love and knew I needed one for my own door.

Paper Dahlia Flower Wreath

**UPDATE** It is now almost August, and this wreath has been on my door 24/7 for more than three months. That includes several huge thunderstorms, but even with our tiny front porch the wreath looks exactly as it did in these photos. It’s held up fantastically!

I’m just posting a few step-by-step photos because Talitha at Love, Pomegranate House has a great tutorial for this simple flower here. If you haven’t visited her blog, you should! She has gorgeous pictures and lots of fun projects :)

Paper Dahlia Supplies

I actually found I got better results if I used different sized pieces of paper for different sized petals – I used 1/4 sheet 8.5″x11″ paper (4.25″x5.5″) for each of the darkest petals, 1/6 sheet 12″x12″ paper ( 4″x6″) paper for the outer row of medium petals, 1/9 sheet 12″x12″ paper (4″x4″) for the inner row of medium petals, and 4″x4″ squares for the inner petals.

Paper Dahlia FlowerI kept even my outer ring of petals as close together as I could, and tried to line up each row such that the points of that row lined up with the middle of the previous row’s petal opening. To hang, I used a loop of ribbon on the back and a 3M hook on my front door.

Wreath Hanger

And here’s our front door. We also just redid the areas on both sides of our walkway. Before we had just grass on the side next to the house and some plants on other side, so I’m really excited for it to be a bit more balanced out. We’re still planning to plant some flowers in between the bushes and the walkway, but we haven’t decided what to put there yet.

Dahlia Door Wreath

1. 14 April 2014 10:37 PM

Julia, what kind of paper did you use – scrapbooking paper? It’s looks like it’s high quality. Thanks. :) MSP

• 14 April 2014 11:26 PM

Miss Snarky Pants,

I used the cheapest cardstock I could find at the local craft store. If it’s just going to be inside, I think a lightweight paper like scrapbook paper, construction paper, or even newspaper or book pages would be great. I hung mine outside for several months through humidity, rain (a slightly covered porch, but I’m sure it got misted during hard rains), and the elements, so I went with cardstock and it held up beautifully – I need to put it back on the door now that its spring again!

Julia

• 15 April 2014 11:56 AM

Thank you. Actually, we have three doors that are partially-glass – and a lot of neighbors – so I was thinking of making three. All three doors are beneath a porches, two of them quite deep. I’m in Florida, so we’ve had crazy rain all winter and NOW we’re going into thunderstorm season, so these wreaths will definitely be well-misted. I also thought about re-interpreting this design using felt, since it would be sturdy – especially with a coat or two of poly. Anyway, I love your craft ideas and the manner in which you improve other people’s projects with your ingenuity. Also, love your blog’s look; you possess a real eye for color and design. I’ve been spreading the word about your blog and will be adding you to my blogroll! Thanks, again. MSP

2. 25 March 2014 10:01 AM

This etsy seller has stolen your photo (mine too) and is using it to sell. https://www.etsy.com/listing/160830718/wreath-in-dahlia-floral-design-handmade?ref=shop_home_feat_1

3. Rhonda permalink
    23 March 2014 12:11 AM

It is beautiful!

4. Marcia Chadsey permalink
    2 October 2013 5:49 PM

I love this but I want to make a little dahia. Thanks a lot. It is beautiful!

5. 14 July 2013 5:01 PM

This is just lovely would liven up my front door will check the tutorial out. I found you at lambaround linky party.

6. Debbie H. Reynolds permalink
    25 May 2013 9:55 PM

Beautiful dahlia. Would love to make my own!!

7. Jeannie Rasmussen permalink
    13 May 2013 7:36 PM

This looks AMAZING! Can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

8. 3 May 2013 3:07 PM

Gorgeous! I love the colours. How is in the rain?

9. 30 April 2013 5:41 PM

Love this – beautiful!

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely project :). I featured it here:

10. 29 April 2013 6:03 PM

Stopping by from the Tickled Pink link up… this is so pretty! I love your shades of teal and they really pop against your front door. Nice job, thanks for sharing!!

11. 27 April 2013 9:00 AM

So pretty!! Thanks so much for stopping by Do Something Crafty Friday!

• 28 April 2013 11:30 AM

I just love this wreath, but need more detail… like do u just twist the bottom, do u glue? what length is each row? are they all glued down in the center?? could u help me please….. it is so beautiful but i don’t have enough instruction to work with… thanks..
      sasysu@aol.com

12. 26 April 2013 7:36 AM

This is stunning. I love the colors you chose – absolutely beautiful! Thank you for linking up to Shine on Fridays!

13. 26 April 2013 12:25 AM

What a cool idea! I love the colors you used, too!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

14. 25 April 2013 10:26 PM

One of my best friends named her baby Dahliana. It would be so cute to make her a paper Dahlia! I love the colors you chose–this turned out so beautifully. :)

15. terriavidreader permalink
    25 April 2013 9:26 AM

Dahlia is my granddaughter’s name, wouldn’t this be great to greet her when she comes to visit?
    Thanks!

16. 24 April 2013 10:54 PM

Wow! Love this! Thank you for sharing!

17. 24 April 2013 8:54 PM

This is beautiful and those colors are stunning! Would LOVE to have you share this at my link party!!

18. rainonatinroof01 permalink
    24 April 2013 7:56 PM

Loved this project! It will be featured tomorrow on my blog: http://rainonatinroof.com
    Be sure to check it out!
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

19. 24 April 2013 3:37 PM

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods Monday!

20. 24 April 2013 10:01 AM

SO pretty! I love the colors you used!

21. 23 April 2013 11:25 PM

This is so beautiful. I love the color of the wreath as contrasted with the color of the door. Absolutely stunning.

22. 23 April 2013 11:09 PM

So simply gorgeous! Definitely trying this myself!

23. 23 April 2013 10:52 PM

Wow – how stunning!!

24. 23 April 2013 3:05 PM

Just beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing it. Sharon

25. 23 April 2013 1:37 PM

I love how it turned out! I will have to make one for my living room in yellow to match! Pinned! Julia @ http://www.juliakendrick.com

26. 23 April 2013 9:22 AM

Super cute against the dark red door! Pinning!

27. 23 April 2013 9:20 AM

That is adorable!!!

visiting from sugar bee!

Shelly- minettesmaze.blogspot.com

28. Rhonda Cheney permalink
    23 April 2013 5:06 AM

I found your home on the web via Sugarbee’s link up. Love this wreath!!!

29. 22 April 2013 10:49 PM

That is adorable! I love the colors! What a great look

30. 22 April 2013 8:15 PM

I think this is sooo gorgeous…great job!

31. 22 April 2013 9:43 AM

Beautifully done, thanks for sharing with us

32. 22 April 2013 7:36 AM

Wow! This is sooo cute! I love it! The colors you chose are great! Pinning! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 5 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-link-party-5.html
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

33. 21 April 2013 9:21 PM

Love this! Blue and teals are my fave colors of all time :)

I would love it if you would link up at Martha Mondays, open now through Wednesday night!

~Amanda

34. 21 April 2013 9:11 AM

This is so beautiful, and the colours are perfect! Pinned!

35. 20 April 2013 11:57 PM

Really beautiful! Nicely done!

36. 20 April 2013 4:18 AM

Beautiful…………I Love It !!!!

37. 19 April 2013 1:13 PM

Wow, that wreath is beautiful! Loving the colors you chose. Thanks for sharing!

Trackbacks

1. Our Favorite Pins Friday
  2. 20 TURQUOISE TUTORIALS | JADERBOMB
  3. Paper Dahlia Flower Wreath – in the 60′s everyone in town had this type of wreath made out of telephone operator call tickets after they had been punched and billed. – Home Decor
  4. Shine On Fridays Linky Party + Giveaway - One Tough Mother