Whopper Cake

7 May 2012
tags: ,
by

Some time ago on pinterest, I saw a cake covered in whoppers and thought it looked pretty cool. When I was a bridesmaid in a wedding earlier this year and they asked the wedding party to bring desserts to the wedding, I decided to make a whopper cake (and a cheesecake, but that’s another story). I don’t often make chocolate desserts since my husband is allergic, but since this was for a bunch of people at a wedding I figured it was a good chance to play with chocolate.

Whoppers covered chocolate cake

As I was making two desserts the night before the wedding, I made this cake with boxed cake mix and canned icing. I used one box of devil’s food chocolate cake to make two 9″ rounds, and chocolate icing. After stacking and icing the cakes, I stuck whoppers on/around the whole cake – using the icing as an adhesive. It took about one and a half of those 12 oz cartons of whoppers. They stuck on pretty well, but I brought some of the leftover whoppers to the wedding to replace a few that got dislodged on the car ride to the church. I didn’t actually get to taste it since it was gone by the time the wedding party got inside from taking pictures, but I did get lots of great comments and questions about it at the reception :) You could use icing to stick all kinds of candies to a cake – I think it would be really fun with something in rainbow colors like M&Ms or skittles.

And here’s a picture of Eddie & me at the wedding. The bride wanted us to all wear green and each have a different accessory color to match our bouquets. Mine was orange (obviously), and I ended up making my dress, jewelry, and headband.

Green Bridesmaid Dress

1. Cathy Martin permalink
    22 May 2012 9:06 AM

Love the cake! My 13-year-old daughter can’t wait to try it. You did a great job on the dress and accessories.

2. beth permalink
    18 May 2012 5:59 AM

This is SO cute!! The whoppers gave it such a beautiful look. I featured this here: http://www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2012/05/tgif-linky-party-30.html – thanks for linking up at TGIF! I look forward to seeing what you link up today =)
    Beth

3. 17 May 2012 7:51 PM

Whoppers!!! This is brilliant! Please link up to Foodie Friday

4. saynotsweetanne permalink
    17 May 2012 6:21 PM

Thanks for sharing on Sweet Sharing Monday- you were featured this week! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-wrap-up/

5. 16 May 2012 2:21 PM

This looks so good! My fiance LOVES whoppers and happens to have a birthday coming up… thanks for sharing!

6. 16 May 2012 11:45 AM

By the way I am definitely pinning this!

7. 16 May 2012 11:45 AM

Okay, I absolutely love this cake!! I have seen you linked up to several parties and had to stop by and tell you how much I love this! i definitley have to try this!! I think this would be a great cake for my mom’s bday! Whoppers were always our guilty pleasure…we would pick up a carton and eat the whole thing! Or for easter we always get bags of the whopper eggs! :-)

I would absolutely love for you to stop by and link this whopper cake up to our Naturally-Nifty party that is going on right now!

8. 16 May 2012 10:51 AM

That is awesome, I’m keeping this idea for my dad’s birthday he loves whoppers.

9. 15 May 2012 1:37 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I have loved whoppers since I was a little girl, and now my daughter eats them too. She will be so thrilled when I try this. Thanks again for sharing, you have gained another follower!!!

10. 15 May 2012 11:28 AM

The cake is absolutely mazing and so fun! Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

11. 15 May 2012 3:30 AM

This is great! Like trixfred30 said, would work great with Maltesers! Really clever

12. 14 May 2012 7:27 PM

This Whopper cake looks amazing!! And what a cute cake. We’re so glad you linked up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Thanks for coming and we hope you’ll be back. -The Sisters

13. 14 May 2012 4:37 PM

My cousin just showed me a cake covered in jelly beans and it was really cute (sounds like a similar idea to using M&M’s or Skittles). I love this idea too. Whoppers are fantastic!

14. 14 May 2012 9:43 AM

Yummy! Thanks for linking to Things I’ve Done Thursday!

15. 14 May 2012 1:29 AM

I absolutely LOVE whoppers…so, this cake intrigues me…enough that I just might have to give it a try! How can one go wrong with Whoppers :) Thanks for sharing with Toot Your Horn Tuesday! Can’t wait to see what you link up next!

Erin

16. youmansmelissa permalink
    13 May 2012 11:16 AM

I will have to try this cake as my family like Whopper candy

17. 12 May 2012 9:39 AM

I love this candy covered cake idea! I’m your newest follower, would love a follow back at http://sassyshopperreviews.blogspot.com/ Found you on the blog hop! :)

18. 10 May 2012 3:35 PM

I just shared this on my FB page. My dad is the only person I know who loves Whoppers. He would really like this cake! Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays.

19. 10 May 2012 2:22 PM

That looks ridiculously good! I, too, pinned a similar image thinking it would be a good idea, because it would cover up my not-so-awesome frosting skills! Visiting from the Linky Party!

20. Trish @ Mom On Timeout permalink
    10 May 2012 11:05 AM

So, so gorgeous!! Not to mention yummy :) My Dad is a hug whoppers fan so this would be perfect for his birthday! I was just reading in your profile that you are an engineering graduate student and was wondering what field of engineering you are studying? I only ask because my BS is in EEE. Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

• 14 May 2012 5:53 PM

I do nuclear engineering. Hooray females in engineering!

21. 10 May 2012 8:50 AM

This came out so good! It looks so perfect I’d be afraid to eat it

22. 10 May 2012 8:23 AM

I love this! It looks awesome! I would love for you to share on Blog Stalking Thursday! http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/05/blog-stalking-thursday-40.html

23. 10 May 2012 6:52 AM

Awesome job with the cake! I love whoppers :).

Mrs. Delightful

24. 9 May 2012 10:05 PM

Love the whoppers they are so effective!

25. 9 May 2012 9:27 PM

YUM!!! Whoppers are my dad’s favorite candy! I’ll have to make this cake for him! Thanks for sharing. :)

26. 9 May 2012 9:04 PM

Oh, this looks so good! Thanks so much for linking up at Thriving on Thursdays. I’m sharing on Facebook as well. Just great! xx

27. 9 May 2012 1:25 PM

Oh my word!!! I must have a piece!!! Oh, your hubby is allergic to chocolate :(

Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

28. 9 May 2012 12:15 PM

Thanks for linking to TAke-A-Look Tuesday – you were featured today!!
    –Mandy, http://www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

29. feauxcajun permalink
    9 May 2012 9:10 AM

That looks AMAZING! (found your blog via the DIY Dreamer link party, hope you’ll have a moment to visit my blog as well!)

30. 9 May 2012 2:05 AM

How fun and clever. Love it!

31. 9 May 2012 12:42 AM

I LOVE this cake! I can’t decorate well… so why not cover it all with delicious candy?! Great idea. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

32. 8 May 2012 10:50 PM

It’s Maltesers for me too…the cake looks fantastic, a great idea!

33. 8 May 2012 4:17 PM

Oh my goodness my mom would just flip for this. She LOVES Whoppers. I might have to make her one :) Love the orange headband and jewelry for the wedding too! I wouldn’t have thought of those colors together but I love the combo!

34. 8 May 2012 1:25 PM

Fun cake Julia! I just made a KitKat cake, same idea, cover a cake with candy using frosting as the glue. Check it out.

35. 8 May 2012 12:54 AM

This a clever idea for a cake. It has a really cool look.

36. 7 May 2012 11:47 PM

Looks yum!
    Greetings from Australia
    ~Pernilla

37. 7 May 2012 10:05 PM

I loooooove whoppers! that cake looks so delicious!

38. 7 May 2012 8:48 PM

very pretty

39. 7 May 2012 4:13 PM

What a wonderful looking cake!

40. 7 May 2012 3:31 PM

A cake covered with Maltesers – what a brilliant idea! At least they look like Maltesers thats we call them over here!

Trackbacks