Comparison Embroidery Hoop

22 June 2012

I’ve had a fair share of car trips and plane rides lately, and wanted some hand work to take along. I found a ton of embroidery hoops at a garage sale last month (a grocery bag stuffed full of all different sizes for $5!), and have wanted more of them to put around the house since doing an embroidery hoop swap earlier this year. I decided to stitch up one of my favorite phrases lately:

Don't let comparison steal your joy

Sometimes I have a tendency to look at something awesome about someone else, and instead of thinking how great it is that they are blessed with that talent/personality trait/situation, I think about how unfair my life is that I don’t have it. Which is completely lame. And messes up being happy about things I have that I should be psyched about because my life is pretty good.

Embroidery Hoop Wall Art

So here’s to not letting other people’s gifts make me forget about my own. If the grass looks greener on the other side, maybe I should just water my own grass! Or appreciate that I even have grass.

I used this sparkley DMC embroidery floss for the word joy. While it was a huge pain to work with, I am completely in love with how it shines! I also painted the outer hoop red, and I love how it adds a pop of color and ties in the red from the word comparison :)

comparison printable

And here’s the image I made up to trace for my embroidery, in case you want to make your own or just print it out! Download the pdf here. It is sized for a 6″ circle hoop – but you can adjust the scale as desired. I ended up freehand-adjusting the word ‘joy’ and adding hearts – but this is what I started from.

1. 25 July 2012 2:23 PM

love this so much!

2. 2 July 2012 10:45 AM

I love this! The colors, the stitching, the quote. Beautiful.

3. elsa permalink
    1 July 2012 8:53 AM

This is just what I needed! Thank you so much ~ very generous of you to share!

4. 30 June 2012 9:05 AM

Hi! Just found your blog through HappyHrProjects!! LOVE your project and I’m pinning it as well :)

Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

5. 28 June 2012 9:24 PM

What a wonderful quote and great embroidery pattern. Pinned it!

6. 27 June 2012 4:36 PM

I love this! I only recently picked myself up some embroidery hoops with the intention of doing something creative with them.. I know exactly what to do now! Thank you so much for sharing :)

7. 26 June 2012 8:13 PM

LOVE this quote! would love for you to come link up to the Hearts&Homes link up, happening now at http://www.mercyinkblog.com such a TRUE and encouraging quote

8. cherrybubbins permalink
    26 June 2012 1:06 AM

sweet! Thanks for sharing the image for the stitchery!

9. 26 June 2012 12:40 AM

Great reminder. I feel like I need that posted in my home where I would always see it. Beautiful work too! I love the hoop painted red. :)
    Amanda @ http://www.the-cadence.com

10. 25 June 2012 8:33 PM

always a good reminder!

11. 23 June 2012 12:22 AM

I love the quote and the embroidery! It looks beautiful! I just pinned it. :)

12. Alyssa permalink
    22 June 2012 11:58 PM

Im just learning how to hand stitch, I love this! What stitch did you use?

Trackbacks